Written by Danica on 01.20.2016
The Right Way to Do Content Marketing ?
Marketing with Content is Good, but Only If You’re Doing it Correctly
Content marketing is becoming more and more valuable as the Internet evolves, but if you’re not using this method correctly you may be doing more harm than good. Below we’re going to go over examples of both good and bad content marketing so that you can make sure you’re getting the most out of your efforts.
To start with, let’s take a quick look at some of the ways NOT to market with content online.
- Generic Content – If you have the same type of content as every other website – whether talking about straight up articles or multimedia posts – you’re not going to be successful. Not standing out in the crowd can be disastrous because people aren’t going to care enough to want to share.
- Spun Content – Even worse than generic content is spun content! While a lot of smart people have come up with cool software that makes spinning content easy, Google and the other search engines have a lot of brainpower and have been working at ways to automatically detect this for years.
Many other bad examples exist, but we don’t want to take up too much of your time with what NOT to do.
Next, let’s take a look at some good methods of using content to market on the Internet.
- Interesting Content – The first thing you want to do is make sure your content is interesting. Bland topics or ones that have been done to death will not catch the interest online, which is the goal of content marketing.
- Useful Content – In addition to being interesting, you want to make sure you’re creating useful content. Filling white space with strings of words worked in the past, but these days you need to actually offer value.
- Entertaining Content – The ability to make someone smile or even laugh out loud is another plus that will really help your content marketing efforts shift into overdrive. There’s a fine line that must not be crossed, but depending on what niche you’re in, this may or may not be a problem.
- Must-Share-This-Now! Content – When you have a piece of content go viral, you know you’ve been successful. You’ll need to make sure you do something with all the attention, of course, but beyond increasing revenue, creating something that people feel they have to share with others can really help your brand.
The true sign that your content marketing efforts are paying off is that they are successful at helping you reach your goals without including the results of a beautiful design. This is the other thing you need to think about carefully – making sure you set clear goals that can be quantified. When you do this, it’s easier to come up with a solid content marketing plan and allow you to gauge its success.